Incorrectly formatted abstracts may be rejected. Edits to submitted abstracts will be accommodated only as resources permit.
Abstract Formatting Instructions for your Microsoft Word file; required for Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism (APNM)
- 12-point New Times Roman Font
- Single spaced
- No added ‘Format paragraph’ – do not insert ‘points’ or spacing before/after paragraph.
- No added ‘Format character’ – superscripts are not ‘smaller-sized font’ lifted 6 points off baseline! Use the superscript and subscript buttons.
- No added ‘Section’ or ‘page’ breaks.
- No: bolded text or italics for emphasis, words in all uppercase (other than abbreviations), or underline
- No: headings i.e., Methods, Results, Conclusion – these will be deleted!
- No: images, figures, tables – these will be deleted!
- No: key words
- No: citations, URL
- To put the dot above Q for cardiac output or V in VO2, VO2max, VO2peak, VCO2, add “[dot]” before the character. For example: [dot]VO2. The publisher will convert [dot] so it is a dot that appears above the following character.
1. Abstract Title: Sentence case, no period
Leave one blank line.
2. Abstract Authors: First Author − Initial.Initial. Last Name, Second author − initial(s) Last Name, etc. For example:
R.R. McDonald,1 B.A. Ivey,2, and S.L. Jong1,2
Use superscript numbers to denote Affiliations. Not required if only one institution is listed in Affiliations. If author is affiliated with more than one institution, note with superscript numbers following their name in numerical order (e.g., R.R. McDonald,1 B.A. Ivey,2 and S.L. Jong1,3, not McDonald,1 B.A. Ivey,3 and S.L. Jong1,2). Do not list a ‘corresponding author’.
3. Author Affiliations: List by author order. Precede each institution with a superscript number. Not required if only one institution is listed in Affiliations. List each Affiliation’s full address including Department, Faculty, Institution (etc), City, Province, Postal Code/Zip code, Country. For example:
1Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W6, Canada.
2College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, 87 Campus Dr. Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B2, Canada.
Make sure you are presenting all author names correctly − they may brand themselves a certain way, so make sure you are complying with that. Above all, spell all names correctly! Also make sure you are using the right name for your institution. For example, Western University’s official name for publications is University of Western Ontario.
Leave one blank line.
4. Abstract text: Approximately 200 words. Symbols should be inserted using Word’s ‘insert symbol’ command. Do not use custom symbols. Double-check superscripts, subscripts, equations, special characters. Insert Greek symbols from symbol list (i.e., use “µ” not “u” for micron). Equations can be inserted using Word’s ‘Equation’ command or MathType if you have it. Make sure spelling and all listed values are correct − these will not be corrected after submission.
5. Funding support (optional): For those indicating funding, it is to be in parentheses at the end of the Abstract text (not on a new line).Incorrectly formatted abstracts may be rejected. Edits to submitted abstracts will be accommodated only as resources permit.